The Windows SmartScreen is a program that is present in Windows and it declares a warning whenever you enter a malicious site. The Windows SmartScreen Filter is enabled by default not only in Internet Explorer but also in Edge web browsers. It saves the users from malvertisements, harmful downloads and installations.
Protect your system from viruses
Windows SmartScreen features
When browsing the web and using Windows, the Windows SmartScreen filter is enabled for all web searches and downloads. Whenever you visit anything that is suspicious, then it will come up with a warning page. And you will even get three options before you. The one option shall be for continuing to the page. The other option is to return to the earlier page. And the last option is of providing feedback on the page. The same is for the downloads.
The method of turning off the SmartScreen Filter
- Firstly, go to Internet Explorer.
- Then, click on the Tools option.
- After that, click on Safety.
- Next, Press on Turn Off SmartScreen Filter.
- Lastly, press on OK.
The method of turning off SmartScreen Filter in Edge
- Firstly, go to Edge.
- Then, click on the menu present at the corner.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Press on View Advanced Settings.
- Lastly, move the slider to off.
In future, if you ever feel like turning on Windows SmartScreen then, at that time you need to follow the same steps but at the end rather than disabling the filter you need to enable it.
Remember! If you disable the SmartScreen feature and the virus enters to your system, you may need to require it to remove manually. It should only be done if Windows Defender or any other anti-virus software won’t be able to do it.
The method of reporting that certain sites do not have any threats to users in IE:
- Firstly, click on More Information by visiting the warning page.
- Press on the option ‘Report That This Site Does Not Contain Threats.’
- Then, go through the instructions at the Microsoft Feedback site.
The method of reporting that a site has a virus in IE:
- Firstly, press on Tools.
- Then, press on Safety.
- Lastly, press on Report Unsafe Website.
- Firstly, click on Tools.
- Then, press on Safety.
- Next, click on Check This Website.
Davis Johnson is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Davis has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.